View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
michael cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Reeves View Post
For what it's worth on the OHS form...I find that I don't really sit 'back'. In fact I sort of go straight down and then eventually push in like I'm trying to get my hips right over my ankles. My knees are pushed way forward and I can really feel my ankles stretching on the first set...however once I'm warmed up...it's a very comfortable and solid position for me (well, as comfortable as it can be holding a barbell over your head! )
I've always thought the following (which, to my knowledge, is attributable to Dan John) provided a pretty good description of the proper sensation:
"Next, try this little drill: I have the athlete stand arms length from a door knob. Grab the handle with both hands and get your chest "up." Up? I have the athlete imagine being on a California beach when a swimsuit model walks by. Immediately, the athlete puffs up the chest which tightens the lower back and locks the whole upper body. The lats naturally spread a bit and the shoulders come back "a little." Now, lower yourself down. What people discover at this moment is a basic physiological fact: the legs are NOT stuck like stilts under the torso. Rather, the torso is slung between the legs. As you go down, leaning back with arms straight, you will discover one of the true keys of lifting: you squat “between your legs.” You do not fold and unfold like an accordion; you sink between your legs."
mpc