View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Default Do I need the snatch?

I've been following the Performance Menu workout for a couple of months now and so far it's working fantastic for me. I'm definitely stronger than I've ever been in every lift. However, I am not an olympic lifter. I like them and I like using them because I think they have benefits that apply far beyond those specific lifts, but I'm just doing it for general strength purposes, not for lifting competitions. Today was max day for me (I'm a few weeks behind) and my snatch suffered ALOT just from technical problems. I just got bumper plates today so until now I've been doing all power cleans and power snatches because they require a lot less balance for me and I've been afraid to drop iron weight in my garage. My confidence in getting under a really low clean didn't suffer that much, but my confidence on the snatch was pretty much gone. I was dropping stuff all over the place in the bottom. So I guess my question is, is it worth while for me to stick with it and continue to work on getting confident in that really low snatch position. Or, being someone who's just looking for more strength and power, does the clean cover all the bases I need? Or what if I just stuck with power snatches? Is there something that a full snatch offers that these other movements do not? If I didn't need them what should I replace them with in the workouts?

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not just someone who got frustrated with snatches today and wants to give them up wholesale. I just want to make sure that if I'm going to be doing them they have carryover into other areas for someone who is never going to compete and aren't just something technical that only o-lifters need to worry about.

Thank you very much for your time and any thoughts. And thank you Performance Menu for the amazing program.
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote