View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
Derek the anorexia tie in is very apt. Anorexia and morbid obesity are not simply metabolic nor purely psychological issues, they're both.

Both are severe addictions, and expecting anyone to suck it up and just quit is dismissive and ignorant...not than anyone here would do that, but there is a prevailing tone among members of any "fitness" arena to take an evangelical approach to these kind of issues.
As usual Dave you make awesome points. Any addiction is a combination of physical and psychological factors, yet like Philip said, how many people who are morbidly obese have the genetic factor working against them as well?

Many may, but I have a hard time believing that the majority do in fact suffer from addiction. Like I said in my original response, Lap Band candidates for KP are required to go on low carbohydrate, low calorie diets and do periodic check ins for weight loss. Why has nobody stopped and gone "Wait a second, we can all lose the weight without surgery... yet we're still going to have it?" I don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's easy, I think it is a very difficult decision to make. However, I think we live in a society that "thrives" on instant (or near instant) gratification. Lap Bands and Gastric Bypasses offer quicker results than reading literature, signing up for a gym (or not, gyms aren't entirely necessary), and if needed joining a support structure (Weight Watchers). All of that is likely cheaper as well.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote