View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hall View Post
I have heard many times and from many people, that they would give up all their training (of whatever martial art they are training in) for one month of BJJ.

I would suggest trying to find a Krav Maga gym. Any martial art that is used by Israeli Special Forces is a-ok in my book.

But only you can answer which would work best for you.
+1. I'm a Krav Maga practitioner (well, former and once again in the next few months once I get settled a bit more with some other stuff going on in my life) and wouldn't suggest anything else if people aren't looking to compete.

I've done a gun defense seminar with Sam Sade (awesome, awesome experience) and consider it the pinnacle of self defense. Contrary to popular belief, you never want to be on the ground in a street fight. You'll either get your head smashed against the concrete, soccer kicked by one of your opponents buddies or over powered. If you're on your feet you have a puncher's chance... or can still run. Krav will teach you TD defense, escapes and insane conditioning. To take a bare knuckle punch is largely reliant upon being in tip top conditioning.

That said...

If you're looking to satisfy an urge for competition, BJJ is best as it's more conducive to longevity in training.

I also spent a fair amount of time training in Muay Thai... absolutely loved it. Never did care much for BJJ as I like punching things more I guess. Muay Thai is intense in that the tolerance to pain and the timing and diversity of strikes are intense. Of course, this applies to BJJ as well, however in a far different way.

See if they allow you to do free or cheap intro. classes and then make up your mind.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote