View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #20
Susie Rosenberg

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Nearly all the jogging/sprinting I do is uphill. I do believe it is "easier" on the body, while much harder on the CV system and mind. :-)
Hey, Garrett, that made me laugh, because if I could cycle cross country but only do the UPHILLS I'd be on it in a second. I'm terrified to get on my bike because of the downhills, so I know where you are comin' from.

I had THE BEST TIME this morning in the gym. I could dance for joy right now.

Here's why I chose what I did: I thought about my goals (thank you, Jay Cohen) and I realized it really is all about functional fitness for me at this point. I'm not interested in Crossfit PRs anymore; I'm interested in being fit enough to bike to the market, to hike up a mountain, to go camping and kayaking and stair climbing up Macchu Picchu (sp?) when I'm able to travel in a scant couple more years (kids growing up, retiring.)

So I imagined myself as a primitive tribe person, a la Primal Fitness thinking. I figured I'd row across the river with enemies in pursuit.

Translation: I did a 2K as fast as I could. (10:01, previous best 8:25!).

Then I thought I'd have to walk through the hills to get to the host village, so I did hill program on the treadmill for 25 minutes. (HR up to 142 for a good chunk of it).

Then it was time to build a temporary shelter, so I lifted things for a while (2 sets of 15 reps picking up a 15lb. DB from full squat to just overhead, elbows bent to 90 degrees). 2 sets of 8 angled body rows with step-ups onto a bench; 2 sets of wall pushups with stepups onto a bench; 2 sets of 20 declined situps, and I was spent.

I left the gym feeling really, really good, as if I really worked my body properly. No pathological pain, just a good muscle fatigue.

The 2K row really tired me out. I was bent over huffin' and puffin' recovering when one of the trainers came over and asked me if I was okay. It surprised me, because aren't you supposed to huff and puff after exertion? Why should anything be wrong?

Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad.
Susie Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote