View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #32
Yuen Sohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
In the Zen/Buddhism world its called samadhi. If you've even been doing something so intently that you forget the outside world, that is a form of samadhi. I guaruntee if you lift weights like that, you will lift a ton of weight.
I remember feeling something akin to this at practice not long ago. I had arrived at LBH very late and didn't get started until well after 9PM. Now I'm usually very slow and methodical in my warmups so of course, only having about 15 total minutes to lift, I was pretty frantic to say the least. Funny thing is that while I was running around like a chicken with no head -- shuttling back-and-forth with bumpers and frantically loading the bar -- when it came time to setup for each lift, it felt like time had stopped. I was able attain an extreme sense of peace and focus in the moments before lift-off. I don't think I'd ever felt that focused while lifting and I ended up making all snatches, including 5 consecutive heavy (for me) singles at the end...and I never go 5 for 5 in the snatch at that high a percentage. I've tried replicating that feeling since, but have yet to match it.

There's so much variety in pre-lift behavior I've seen at comps so far. There are lifters who meditate and/or talk to themselves for a good 15-30 seconds, one guy I know who does smelling salt and charges onto the platform screaming (ee-yah!), and others who approach the barbell with the excitement level of Eeyore. All of them are very accomplished lifters who settled into a ritual that works for them.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote