View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
This is what I'm afraid of. He's on the other side of the country so I can't pull a Tonya Harding either.

Thank you for the post Dave, it has definitely given me some things to think about. I like the ladder idea. How much of an negative effect do you think it would have to switch up between front squat and back squat? Like maybe a month of the ladder back squatting, a month front squatting.

Well you may be asking the wrong guy on that...I spent a month on front squatting and it stayed dead flat..granted I was grossly overworking several other lifts but still....

In your position, I wouldn't think you'd want to drop fronts for long. Any easy way to keep them in the mix if there is a big difference between your front and back squat is to warm up with fronts up to a comfortably heavy double then continue your warm up with back squats..for me this looks like

135x5 front
225x4 front
275x3 front
315x2 front
335x5 back then,
ladders at 355.

this will add volume for sure but if you are careful with weight selection and recovery it's not a huuuuge amount to fit in for a while....of course I'm assuming you're not doing a ton of random metcon on your volume days and are allowing good recovery when you do.