View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Resting alone takes a long time to fix a problem of this nature. Giving the body the nutrients that have been depleted, along with adjusting your training, is the answer. I do this quite a bit with patients (who have this issue).
What nutrients do you find work the best? DHEA, adrenal cortisol extract, licorice are among the ones I am reading about.

I did notice resting doesn't necessarily fix the problem. I generally only work out 3 - 4 days a week which gives me a good 3 - 4 days a week of rest. As a result, I didn't think this was an issue related to overtraining or lack of rest days. That was why I was reluctant to take a week off. After all, it's not like I am doing the 3 days on 1 day off that a lot of programs require.

My diet is good. My wife hates how anal I am about my diet. I loosely follow a zone based diet of 3 meals and 3 snacks, well rounded with good portions of protein and veggies.

Training I think is good. I generally do extensive dynamic movement prep warmup routines as you and I have discussed on other threads. I visit an Olympic lifting coach every couple weeks to work on my form. I am a big fan of cold plunges for recovery. I empty my whole ice bucket in a cold bath then sit in there for 5 or 10 minutes. On my rest days I do stretches and other stuff.

That doesn't leave much left for me to try except look at the nutrient angle. FYI, I have also been on anti-depressants for about 2 years now. I read in one article depression can also be a sympton of the adrenal issue you noted.
Brian Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote