View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

That's probably gonna be too much. As I said.. start slow and then ramp up. If you start too fast you can't tell what is too much and what is not enough. Remember, overreaching/overtraining takes time to recover from. If you "under"traing you can always add more exercises or intensity or whatever RIGHT AWAY.

Again, I suggest starting with 1 legs, 1 push, 1 pull for 4 days a week. Then if you can handle that (after a week or two) add in another push/pull exercise and possibly legs. After this possibly add in another day.

Take this training not so much as undertraining but specifically to get to know your body's limits at its current stage. This is where you find out what you can do so you can optimally program for yourself in the future.

1. Doesn't really matter the volume. I'd stick with about 15 reps per exercise... 3x5, 5x3 or whatever. Don't be afraid to go with 3x3 or lesser reps if it's a particularly intense exercise. 25 at max with 5x5 or 8x3 -- in which case you would only do one or at most two exercises if you were doing this.

Start in the middle and vary it up depending on how hard each exercise. For example, if I can only do 4 HSPUs and fail on the 5th.. I don't want to be trying to do 4 per set because I'm going to fail the 4th rep on probably the second or third set. 3x3/4x3/5x3 would probably be a good rep scheme for this.

Intensity should always be as hard as possible BUT avoiding failure. Avoid failure at ALL costs. And by failure I mean form failure. You should never have to do something like what you would call "drop sets" or try to get that extra rep after you failed that set.

2. Not necessarily the same exercises. If you want to progress quickly with one exercise, yes. Otherwise, you'd be better off working a variety to increase your overall strength in all planes. I'd aim to hit each exercise 2-3x a week on a 4-5 day schedule.

3. Either works. I've had success with bodyweight progressions and weighted chin/dips so... do what you want. If you have poor proprioceptive abilities (aka can't hold a handstand for more than 15s easily, can't close your eyes and balance on one leg for 30s, etc.), I would definitely suggest the bodyweight progressions over the weighted work.

4. Work it as a skill and then once you can do it add it in as a strength skill. I'd recommend Coach Sommer's progression. If you need technique help you should post up a vid....

Last edited by Steven Low; 12-05-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote