View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Derek Simonds

Good question. I am assuming you are specifically talking about closed guard. I have been doing much more squatting and dl'ing in the past couple of months and have noticed a slight decrease in my flexibility. Well more like I have noticed more pain from when someone is putting me in a difficult position like trying a half guard sweep or a leg over guard pass.

My closed guard I believe has benefited from the additional squats and deadlifts. Here is why. I don't play the rubber guard ala Eddie Bravo unless something bad has happened and I am using it to try and recover butterfly or closed guard. Like here.

I had butterfly and went for something and he got a hold of my left foot and I was using this position to work for something else. I have never trained rubber guard and really doubt that this is anything more than me holding on to what I had.

But in closed guard, especially if I get control and get a higher guard I can really latch down and it is very difficult to get my legs free for my opponent to pass.

So I guess it depends on what you are more comfortable with or what you are working on at the time. I know that it takes a lot of flexibility to really work Eddie Bravo's stuff.

The main thing I have worked on this year for closed guard is to always be attacking. Either a sweep or a submission. No matter what attack. It has seemed to work for me.

I really look forward to hearing what everybody else thinks. By the way I just laid down on the floor and can not put my leg behind my head. At least cold anyways.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote