Thread: Fat Zone
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Keane View Post
What exactly is happening hormonally when I am taking in that amount of fat at 9 or 10 PM, 3 or 4 hours after my last meal?
You're hungry?

The only thing I can think of is that I know that some fats are required as steroid precursors. One of the studies I mentioned in neuroendocrine response showed that exercise the previous day followed by sleep deprivation shows an increased spike in growth hormone (and probably another anabolic response) during the next night's sleep. So your body may be preparing for that.

Quote:
Is it in and of itself going to significantly derail the leaning out process?
Not necessarily. The best way to figure out if you're leaning out is the mirror. It never lies.

That or like calipers, hydrostatic weighing, etc. Scale doesn't work too well since you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (although not that efficiently).

Quote:
One reads so much about how any late-night calories are automatically stored as fat no if ands or buts and I wonder how truthful that is.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
That's one of those dumb myths.

Let's say your body requires 3000 cals to maintain weight and you're eating 2600 during the day and then you have a 400 cal snack before bedtime. You're body's not going to store that as fat but use it to maintain it's own weight.