View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Emily Mattes

Huh, "Combat fit" versus "Test fit" sounds like "college ready" and "good SAT score"--the test doesn't necessarily measure what you want it to measure, but if you're very, very ready for college you will probably do OK on the test.

Howard, the quote is below. It was just a post in a larger discussion, no article or anything.

Quote:
See, I disagree with the notion that Crossfit is so great for military folks. A lot of what we do involves moving around with heavy objects, somtimes in combat, but most of the time not. Yeah, we have to be able to sprint and move with a big flak jacket loaded down with ammo and other crap, which is something that I dont think crossfit really addresses. I personally think that Strongman workout would be FAR more beneficial for these types of tasks, as it involves speed and endurance training combined with heavy and sometimes awkward objects. I think that that would be a more effective program for combat conditioning versus hundreds of repititions of low-weight or no-weight excercises. Combine it with some endurance work (Since strongman stuff doesnt seem to do a lot of that) and I think you'd have a far more effective program for your average soldier/Marine/sailor. Plus, it would have a much greater carryover into our every day tasks. Need to get that M2 machine gun up on that ring-mount? Well its a good thing you trained with atlas stones! Ammo cans need to be moved around the base? Well your grip is really strong thanks to farmers walks! Doing a forced march with a pack? Well hell, you're really good at the car walk (Or something similar to it) and your endurance is good, so thats no sweat!

And I'd like to qualify the previous statement by saying that I am a Marine, Ive done a lot of crossfit, and have spent a lot of time in Iraq. I dont train strongman though.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote