View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #30
Barry Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Thank you for spending the time replying to my questions, Mr. Ross.

I am not sure if I am fully understanding this portion of your comments:

The abstract from this study states:

Am I correct in assuming that your training is designed to minimize the body's reliance on the aerobic system?

Also, what are your thoughts on lactic acid buildup during the 400 m? Do you not have to be trained to efficiently utilize and shuttle out lactic acid?

Thanks again. I am looking forward to your next book. Is there any expected release date?
Our training is not designed to minimize the body's reliance on the aerobic system. In fact, we believe, based upon the algorithm, that the runner needs a baseline of aerobic capacity. That baseline equates to ~4.5 m/s.

The following is from the algorithm for a female runner:
9.804 7.895 4.802 5.069 9.871

The first number is the m/s of a 10m fly-in trial
The second is the m/s of a 300m fly-in trial
The third is m/s aerobic capacity
The fourth is the m/s anaerobic speed reserve
The last number is the combination of the of third and fourth numbers.

From these numbers and the repeat run distance we can see the rate of speed decrement. That decrement represents the rate at which anaerobic fibers fatigue (reduction of active motor units).
As the runner increases strength, in the form of maximising motor unit recruitment, the 10m fly-in m/s drops. What we've found is that drops in the short trial run will cause drops in the long trial without any other work. In other words, the short dictates the long in an anaerobic based sport.
This is also the reason to run shorter repeats than what others suggest.
It also gives us a solid base to build workouts from because we have a greater sense of how each aspect relates to the others.

More importantly, it gives the athlete very specific goals rather than the guessing so many coaches use. Rather than saying "Run 10 repeats at 80% of max speed" (how does a runner know when they are running at 80%?), we give them very accurate and attainable goals.
We do the same in strength training--specific loads from simple lifts to increase motor unit recruitment.
As their strength increases, 10m times drop and so do speed decrements.

We don't do anything regarding lactic acid.
Barry Ross is offline   Reply With Quote