View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Jacob Rowell

I was lucky to have the state chairman/his gym full of nice SM stuff 10 minutes from my house. I took a 6 week intro seminar he did, and got started that way.

I've been cobbling together implements on my own. Found some kegs, made an axle, a log, and farmers. None of these have been expensive or too hard.

Finding practice time on the stones is key - I was lucky that I was one of two out of 9 who finished the stones on my first contest, which helped my standing quite a bit, but shows that you need time with them in your hands. Most of the guys were however stronger than me.

As Adam said, a big DL is going to help - theres quite often a DL event, whether it's a pull for max weight at a particular height, pull for reps, axle, whatever. I don't imagine you'd need to be the biggest squatter in the gym, and with the oly work I'm sure you're well on your way. I do think pressing/overhead strength is key. Again, lucky for you, axles, logs, etc.. can be jerk, though the log cuts into hip drive significantly.

If you're really looking to get into SM (is SW the correct term here?), find a crew. Don't know where you are, but there seems to be plenty of guys training out of garages with most the stuff you need.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote