View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #22
James Evans

My grandfather on my old man's side was teetotal and never smoked in his life. He died at the age of 98 or so.

Grandfather on my mother's side, drank moderately, never smoked. Died at 95.

Both were pretty damn active up until their last few years when death was probably a welcome visitor. And I mean active, not just getting up to change channels rather than use the remote. And both ate sensible amounts from what I would consider a fairly standard middle class diet from the first half of the twentieth century.

My uncle once told me we had longevity in our genes. BS!

Activity. Alcohol in moderation. Food in moderation. No cigarettes (and I write that as someone who until recently was a heavy smoker). I have little doubt that's why those two men lived so long.

My father was as strong as ox. And I mean strong enough to lift a pool table by himself. But he smoked and drank. Died at 52.
My mother smoked and drank. Died at 30.
Both my grandmothers died young of illnesses relatively unheard of 100 years ago. As did my great grandmother on my mother's side. All smokers.

Dr Mike Stroud puts forward many interesting ideas in his book 'Survival of the Fittest'. Well worth reading. Particularly for those of you who don't believe we were born to exclusively sprint and perform Fran for time.

Last edited by James Evans; 02-19-2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: bad proofing on my part
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote