View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
when trying to clean up the pull, i find it helpful to do the following:

stand straight up with the bar in your hands, shoulders back. bend the knees slightly, about 3-4 inches, do this without bending at the hip, or without leaning over. this puts you in a position that although is maybe not textbook, is a realistic representation of the position that the second pull or explosive phase actually occurs in most lifters. stop in this position, get to know it. i call this the second pull position. do a clean from this position, in fact, do several, on each one, repeat the process of standing straight, puling the shoulders together, stopping, and taking stock of where you are. then bend the knees and get into the second pull position, again, STOP, take stock of where you are, get to know this position, do another clean, repeat till you are comfortable with both positions and can get into either with little fidgeting.

now, get into the second pull position, via the method described above, stop, make sure to stop, then slowly (again, after you have stopped in the second pull position) slowly, bend at the hip so as to allow the bar to slide down your thigh till the bar is just below your kneecap. do this slowly. when the bar is right below your kneecap, resting against the patellar ligament, not the patellar tendon, but the patellar ligament directly below the kneecap, stop. stop for 3 or 4 seconds, maintainning a tight back... then slowly, slowly, extend the hip (not the knees, they should neither flex nor extend while you are going from the second pull position to the below the knee position, what i call the low hang position), keep extending the hip till you feel yourself coming to the second pull position, the position we achieved by flexing the knees. when you feel yourself in this position, simply jump, catch the bar, and viola you have a clean.

gradually repeat this exercise, maintaing the stops and the slow speed of movement on the way down, but gradually increasing speed on the way up, increasing speed to the limit of how fast you can go while still hitting the second pull position on the way up in exactly the same way as you hit it on the way down.

hope that helps.

glenn

Wow. This is an awesome post. Just awesome. Glenn thanks so much for doing this. I say this because my double knee bend and full extension absolutely sucks.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abG6v...e=channel_page

So, from what you're saying, and I'm really trying to understand -

1. First pull - leg drive only; no extension of hips. Bar goes to above knees and knees start to come under the bar. Shoulders are in front of the bar
2. sorta Second pull - as the knees are coming under the bar, the hips extend. This is where hips should come to the bar somewhere above the knee, but at about mid thigh - the knees are coming forward under the bar to put you in a good jumping position - shoulders still in front of the bar as best you can.
3. Real second pull - this is your second pull position - bar is at mid thigh, hips are extended (I never knew this until you wrote it above), knees are under the bar and you jump upwards - head goes back a bit eyes straight forward maybe a little up - shrug like a muther.

I typed the above because I want to understand this so I can learn to do it as I'm growing very frustrated with my failure to progress as well as I think I should. I'm a 800+ lb deadlifter and I can power curl/clean with really bad form 140 to 150kilos. Yet, my squat clean, which I committed to 10 weeks ago should be better and I think this thread has brought me to one of many possible reasons.

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks to Emily for starting this thread. I love this stuff.

All the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote