View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Matt Horvath

Default Protrusion on Shoulder Plus Pain

I've had a nagging shoulder pain that has just taken a turn for the worse. Previously, I had an MRI done, saw an orthopedist who gave me a cortisone shot. I didn't really know what was going on and probably would have tried to get by without it had I known what was going on. This all occurred early last Fall.

Now, there is a visible and touchable bump on my left shoulder that isn't as prominent on the right that I noticed the other day. I'll attach an image and was wondering if anyone could provide any insight into what it might be. I have another appointment w/ the orthopedist Thursday, which I hope will go well, but last time he told me he was a runner and he first two suggestions for treatment were a cortisone shot and surgery to shave off some of my collar bone. He diagnosed it as a small case of bursistis after an MRI and X-Ray.

I feel a great deal of pain when I extend my arm in front of me, internally rotate my hand (thumb to the ground) and try to raise my arm against a resistance. Appley's scratch test w/ adduction and internal rotation is painful (http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000515/3079_f2b.jpg ).

The first pull is painful, w/ my arms internally rotated a bit to get my elbows out, for both cleans and snatches. Racking front squats leads to pain as well. After the weight is OH, everything feels fine.

Anybody have any ideas as to what that bump might be? Anything specific to work on in terms of rehab? Anything other things I might want to consider/look into?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shouldbump1resize.JPG (67.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg shouldbump2resize.JPG (60.0 KB, 10 views)
Matt Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote