View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
glennpendlay

Arden,

A big guy with a long stick of wood is a scary thing. When I was pretty little, my dad owned a gun store that was right next door to where we lived. We came home one night rather late and found that 4 guys were robbing the store. Dad got out of the truck and grabbed a long stick of wood that was lying on the ground, think it was some sort of a cross member from a wooden cart that we hooked to the horse (or to a 3 wheeler im sure) to carry feed to the animals... it was partially disasembled and in the process of being fixed... anyway it was a substantial piece of wood, probably close to 3 feet long and id guess roughly 2 inches in diameter. Anyway he walked in behind them and held that thing like a baseball bat and told them to freeze or he would take their heads off. I can still remember those guys faces getting absolutely white and them just standing there without moving while my mom called the cops and the cops eventually getting there and arresting them... now my dad was about the size i probably would have been had i never lifted weights, a bit over 6 feet and around 250 pounds and in good shape. pretty big guy just naturally... i kind of chuckle when i think of the thoughts that must have gone through those guys head when he was suddenly right behind them with what amounted to a giant baseball bat!!! Ive often thought that that would be the ABSOLUTE LAST person I would ever want to get into a fight with, a big guy with a big stick!!! Way more scary to me than a guy with a knife!

And by the way, I know you'll appreciate this given your lumberjack interests... my VERY FIRST PAYING JOB was splitting wood with a sledge and a wedge. My family used to cut firewood and sell it by the rick and cord for income. Basically, my dad and sometimes my grandpa cut, and me, my brother, and my mom picked it up and stacked it in the trailer. At one point, my dad, thinking that I needed a bit of spending money (i was about 12) would give me some of the bigger stumps in return for loading all the wood. I was then free to split them myself and sell the wood. I split it and tied it in little bundles, and my grandpa took me around to convienience stores to sell it to them, where i lived most convienience stores had little bundles of split wood for sale outside... the type of things people who have fireplaces they light 2-3 times a year buy when they get the urge to burn some wood.

So anyway, being a "lumberjack" was my first job! I quickly graduated from sledge and wedge to a light maul that my grandpa made me... he made mauls in his machine shop and sold them all over, lots of farm and ranch stores in Kansas used to carry grandpa's mauls. He filled the head with differing amounts of lead to get the weight right, sold them from 6lbs up to 16 or 18lbs I think. Made me a special smaller one when I was 12 or 13. We always split all out wood by hand, dad used a really heavy maul and could swing the crap out of it, could split anything.

Ive also always been a bit interested in competition axes, because I used to make custom knives... always thought it would be fun to make a really good carbon steel axe head. where do you buy such a thing? are they custom made? are there designs somewhere available? what steel are they usually made from? do you have any knowledge of the rockwell hardness of a good competition axe head?

well, thats enough for now...

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote