View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
And the water really is important, ive tried it with and without. With water mades the meat much, much moister.

glenn
If you want moist meat I suggest a mop sauce. Apple juice + Guinness is mine.. Mop on meat every hour. More flavor = more goodness. It's how the pro's roll.

I prefer dry chips versus wet. I don't care how painful it is, I'll take a day of checking the wood smoker every 15 min versus a gas smoker anyday. I want to smell like I just lived through a forest fire of good hickory or mesquite by the end of the day, and its a good excuse to sit near the fire and drink beer.

Good red meat is done with a rub 24 hours prior. Rub is your choice of seasonings. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and throw in fridge overnight.

Poultry if smoked should always be brined for at least 8 hours...24 is better. I smoked 4 racks of ribs and 2 chickens the other day....absolute perfection. Poultry instead of using mop sauce I prefer butter with apple juice, and put a pan underneath to catch drippings.

I smoke with apple, hickory, and mesquite. All work great for flavors. If you want you can always add liquid smoke to your mop sauce for a little cheat.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote