Thread: Hungry on SS?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #12
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hey, I'm not knocking body weight strength, or that everyone's goal should be to get big and strong, or even strong at all (though strength is way cooler than endurance :P ). However, someone eating 8+pieces of bacon+other breakfast meats for breakfast, and 3 burgers / chicken breast for lunch doesn't seem to have the "I want to be skinny and have an awesome strength to body weight ratio" thing going on in their head.

I'm 6' and 170ish. I'm really underweight for good barbell strength, my brother is 6'2" and 230ish, he's not. So, someone an inch shorter than me, 10 pounds lighter trying to get barbell strong should probably shoot for somewhere at least slightly heavier than me, say 180 to 200 lbs, perhaps more (louie simmons may say you need to be in the 242-275 range)... and we all know how hard putting on 20-40 lbs of muscle can be

Rippetoe is also 5' 8", like Steve Low, but is 215 lbs, not terribly fat. Rip's the same height as Steve Low, but there's about a 80 lbs difference in weight. Different weights for different goals.

Sorry for the rant-ish.
No, its not a rant its a good discussion. I guess the thing that got me thinking was the huge thread on the CF forum awhile back about why barbell strength doesn't work for gymnastic strength, yet gymnastic strength makes you a beast at gymnastics and makes you absolutely a beast for your bodyweight on the barbell. Safe to say, I haven't lost any strength since going to BW stuff (and I test it on my own ever couple of days) in fact I've gained it, most likely due to advances in CNS adaptation.

I agree - to go for big on the barbell, you need to be big. But I guess the way I see it, does everyone need an 800# deadlift? This is purely based on my own journey but in a 500# deadlift with me at 5'11", the adaptation is primarily CNS - it is not in gained muscle or bodyweight. If I wanted to push farther, I would have to gain more weight, but since that isn't a goal of mine I am happy where I sit.

Matthew what you really need here are goals (sorry for the tangent hijack). Eat a lot and work towards those goals. Your weight will figure itself out to obtain the goals you have chosen.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote