Thread: Hungry on SS?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
Greg Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
It is about goals Greg. If his goal is to run 26.2 miles then I wouldn't tell him to gain any weight. If his goal is to bench 450, then he needs to get to work on the food part.
I agree if were taking a goal like a 450 bench as a premise, then a lighter person will have to jam the food in. I just think one shouldn't ignore that goals interact with your genetics/bodytype/metabolism whatever you want to call it, and that it doesn't help to just have everyone who wants to improve their bench hit a 200lb bw as a starter.

Quote:
You think an NHL player who is 165 pounds is going to be picked up as a starting defenseman? Not a chance - they'd tell him to gain 40 pounds.
I'd say if you need to gain 40lbs for something thats pretty extreme- your goal is unrealistic. Unless its a young athlete with a long planning curve.. ie. yes form does follow function but i would have more faith in that over the long term not short term. You definitely have a good point there though, I think I'm just being critical of the extreme cases whereas in most moderate cases you are right.

Quote:
The only way to gain real weight is to force down food for those not used to it. The reason that GOMAD works is that its liquid, milk is awesome for said goal. You could use other things but either way you need to eat 2300 extra calories per day. Your average person isn't used to eating 5,000 total calories of real food.
I just dont think anyone should be eating 5000+ kcals per day. Seems wrong on a few levels. Some people can gain or maintain a high bodyweight anywhere from 2-4000 kcals.. but get up in to the 5000+ range and its like c'mon thats a little ridiculous unless you were talking some serious hardcore reasons to pursue such a goal.

Quote:
I'm not sure where you get people are starving themselves. My goal takes 10 weeks to complete at losing 1 1/2 pounds per week, and since I eat paleo with a bit of dairy, I'm far from starving - in fact I'm losing weight on 2,300 calories a day, a far cry from a starvation diet don't you think?
I dont think too many (guys) are starving themselves. But in your case you are shooting for a weight range that is likely very reasonable given what your weight would gravitate to at an "average/normal" caloric consumption somewhere near 2-2.5k per day.