View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

If I see cramping, particularly in athletes, I tend to look towards magnesium deficiencies. An issue like a fallen arch will tend to focus the cramping in that weak area.

From the Canadian Family Physician journal:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8...ubmed_RVDocSum
Quote:
Magnesium deficiency is more common than is believed. This article discusses florid magnesium deficiency in two patients and the results of treatment. While neither case was difficult to diagnose, the severity of symptoms was unusual. Magnesium deficiency should always be included in the differential diagnosis of patients who present with persistent or severe muscle pain.
Also, while you may not be pregnant, these two studies might be of interest:
Clinical aspects and treatment of calf muscle cramps during pregnancy
Quote:
In an uncontrolled therapeutic trial 21 women with muscle cramps received 1,8 g monomagnesium-aspartate twice daily per mouth for 4 weeks. 21 women with muscle cramps had no therapy. 4 weeks after the initiation of magnesium therapy 19/21 women were free of symptoms, compared to only 7/21 patients in the control group. Muscle cramps during pregnancy do not have to be considered a risk factor; they can be significantly improved by the administration of oral magnesium.
The effect of oral magnesium substitution on pregnancy-induced leg cramps.
Quote:
CONCLUSION: Oral magnesium supplementation seems to be a valuable therapeutic tool in the treatment of pregnancy-related leg cramps.
General article on magnesium deficiency here.
Quote:
The first symptoms of magnesium deficiency can be subtle. Most magnesium is stored in the tissues, so leg cramps, foot pain or muscle ‘twitches’ are usually the first signs.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote