View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
That's like saying your biceps are sore from pullups so you need to work on your curls. That doesn't make sense. I just assume keep working my pullups and watch my bi's grow with my back.
If your pullups were a contested or core lift you might treat them differently. People have used isolation or focus work on their leg flexors for a long time to develop the squat ( glute ham raise, leg curls, band curls, reverse hypers, etc).

There's nothing inherently wrong with curls as a focus for arm flexor weakness.

a lot of SM competititors and HG'er do focused work on the arm flexors.

I also think you're misunderstanding something about tight or painful muscles that Garrett raised originally. A muscle that's is too tight for a given position is inherhently weak in that postion. tighness for a lot of things is joint angle specific.

for instance, I may have plently strong hamstrings in a RDL position but get my legs out wide like a sumo DL or ask them to contract at near complete extension, (pick on an atlas stone) and they start shaking and go weak, and won't allow me to get into position to effect the movement correctly.

...this tightness and inhibition is neurological, it's not just "tight" it is is de facto weakness.

one way to short circuit this tightness in a muscle that's super inhibited when stretching alone won't fix is to work that movement over progresively greater ranges of motion until, for lack of a better word, the muscle is comfortable and able to fire in this "new" position. the interaction between tension and strength is really important.