Thread: squat woes
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #23
Stacey Greenway

Post Clarification

First off, Iím glad to see this thread has sparked so much dialogue and interest.

Secondly, I should reiterate the particulars of my situation once more, as I think weíve all lost sight of some of them since my original post.

To begin with, my being posterior-chain dominant is rooted in several factors, probably the least of which is the fact that Iíve been low-bar squatting. My quads have always felt relatively weak, and this was only exacerbated by the practice of martial arts, both karate and iaido (traditional Japanese swordsmanship), wherein lots of time is spent by practitioners in what is known as a horse stance (this is essentially a sumo squat stance). I practiced karate and iaido for six years, three hours a day for six days out of the week.

When I first began actual squatting several years ago, I was taught to lean way back on my heels, sticking my butt back to the point of near imbalance. I did this until I up to a few years back, at which point I became frustrated and began self-educating myself through the work of guys like Glenn Pendlay and Mark Rippetoe, both of whom I admire for their experience and intellect, and also through the Crossfit website. Iíve since purchased Mr. Everettís book on Olympic lifting, and I was impressed with him as well. I believe that everyoneís education in lifting should begin with the works of the three abovementioned fellas. Together, they truly have brought lifting into the 21st century.

To make matters worse, my deadlift has continued to improve and strengthen, while Iíve experienced setback after setback with my squat, which has resulted in my posterior chain becoming stronger still.

So you see, it isnít just one factor that has contributed to my particular problem, but many. Just for the record, I think you can low-bar squats just fine without developing any real imbalances, especially if you invest in some decent squat shoes, since theyíll get you more into your quads anyway, because Iíve taught many of my clients to squat this way and none of them have developed raging imbalances (no shooting hips, or the like).

I think the most important thing is to look at the individual, whether its using Starting Strength or some other program, and make decisions for exercise selection based on that personís strengths and weaknesses. For instance, one of my clients absolutely could not use his posterior chain to squat at all when doing high-bar (he was always relaxing his hamstrings at the bottom), so I switched him over to low-bar, and now he MUST lean over more and use more of his posterior chain.

My two cents,
Stacey

P.S. Donít let my name fool you--Iím actually a dude, guys!
Stacey Greenway is offline   Reply With Quote