View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
That study was actually pretty cool... If the information is taken out of the context of only endurance athletes the protocol would IMO look more like this.

Muscle glycogen stores should be kept at an optimal level for the energy requirements of the athlete. Based on those energy requirements the most efficient way to restore glycogen is immediately PWO with High GI nutrient dense sources along with protein in order to aid recovery. The full amount of carbohydrates should be consumed within the first two hours as the metabolism prefers muscle glycogen storage within the recovery window and this will enable increased recovery for the next WO. Increased intramuscular Triglyceride storage and usage has been shown to improve athletic performance and increase available energy so having a diet composed of 35-55% fat by calories is optimal for appropriate metabolic response. (I got some of that from the study Donald posted and keep in mind that WAS for endurance athletes)

I don't think any one here is saying the Atkins diet is best for marathon runners (I am not). Carbohydrates play an important roll in energy availability and recovery and need to be in an athletes diet. In APROPRIATE amounts.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote