View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #26
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw
I may be wrong but I doubt that Brandon is an Inuit or that he has access to rancid whale or seal blubber or any other traditional Inuit foods therefore he'd need supplements.
I have seen no evidence that the Inuit have any special adaptations to low carb eating that are peculiar to them. I've also seen no evidence that rancid whale and seal blubber and other Inuit foods provide essential nutrients that are not available in what is commonly sold at the grocery store.
And yet the review article you cite states that supplements are required on a ketogenic diet...... so which of you is wrong?

Quote:
Quote:
Anecdotal evidence is worse than useless. Where are the studies showing that athletic performance is improved or at the very least not impaired in some way by a ketogenic diet?
No, anecdotal evidence is what we refer to as a case study. It is useful in suggesting further research. NIH is decidedly not very low carb friendly, so the studies that need doing have not been done and are unlikely to be funded soon.
No studies? Strange...... I seem to recall posting a link to some studies on fat adaptation and ketogenic diets here. If those links aren't working for you I suggest you buy a copy of Clinical Sports Nutrition (3rd edition) where you will find at the end of Chapter 15: Nutritional Strategies To Enhance Fat Oxidation five pages of references citing over 100 studies dealing with the subject.

Quote:
Quote:
I guess you're unaware of the longevity of the Japanese on their traditional high carb diet or the low rates of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and diet related cancers throughout Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Burma and...... well the whole of South-East Asia really despite their traditional high carb diet?
These areas traditionally consumed considerably less total calories than Americans. Globalizing their results to give Americans a green light to consume excess carbohydrates has resulted in our current epidemic of obesity and Type II diabetes.
Americans did not become the fattest people on Earth by eating too many carbs they got that way by too much of everything.

Last edited by Darryl Shaw; 04-03-2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typo
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote