View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 04:37 AM   #32
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fury View Post
Neither. We are referring to different metabolic states.

Phinney's 1983 cyclist study used sodium/potassium supplementation while the cyclists were undergoing keto-adaptation and continuing to train hard.

The Inuit require no special supplementation since they are already keto-adapted.

I did not say "no studies", I said the studies that "need" to be done. i.e. studies in fully keto-adapted individuals. If you are so inclined, please tell me how many of your studies were conducted on individuals who were fully keto-adapted for greater than 4 weeks?
Do you actually read the studies you cite? Phinney's study (link) was conducted on athletes who spent "4 weeks on a eucaloric ketogenic diet (EKD) providing 83% of energy as fat, 15% as protein, and less than 3% as carbohydrate.". He concluded that "submaximal endurance performance can be sustained despite the virtual exclusion of carbohydrate from the human diet." That's it, submaximal endurance can be sustained on a ketogenic diet but who cares about submaximal performance? Nowhere did he state that athletic performance was improved by a ketogenic diet indeed he concluded by stating that "anaerobic (ie, weight lifting or sprint) performance is limited by the low muscle glycogen levels induced by a ketogenic diet, and this would strongly discourage its use under most conditions of competitive athletics."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fury
Studying non keto-adapted people after tossing them onto a ketogenic diet and then stating they had performance deficits is just a waste of research dollars. Of course they did. That's like saying, "I put diesel in my gasoline engine and it ran terrible." and then concluding that diesel is lousy fuel.
Good analogy; fat is a lousy fuel for a species that's been adapted to a high carb diet ever since we crawled out of the oceans and headed for the trees.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote