View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Kyle Marston

Default Another meniscus injury question

Hi allóIíve been through the PM and CF message boards regarding meniscus tears and found some good info but still hope to solicit some specific advice for my case from anyone whoís had experience with them.

By way of background in Feb I hurt my knee running a 5k, then really hurt it doing powercleans and burpess a few days later. Iím currently out of work so I canít really see a doctor so I just laid off completely and have been doing the GB WODís, skipping any days that have lower body stuff. However, itís been a month and a half and I have seen no real improvement (meaning the pain has gone away and Iím not limping but I still seem to re-injure it every few days getting out of the car wrong, climbing steps too fast, whatever).

Now I am hoping to become a firefighter and recruit school (with no small dose of PT) would start in August so I finally shelled out the cash and saw an ortho today who told me it is a meniscus injury but itís not too bad (knee isnít locking) and without the $700 MRI canít really say if surgery will help or not.

Finally on to the questions/advice: itís been a month and a half with little to no improvement so am I fooling myself that I could be ready for the firefighter recruit academy in 4-5 months? Or if Iím smart about it do I stand a reasonable chance of rehabbing before then? I hurt my other knee kickboxing a while back and it took almost a year to fully recover (and Iíve avoided kickboxing ever since). Unfortunately I need to make that decision now rather than try rehabbing for 5 months to see how it does.

Next, how exactly do I 'be smart about it' (with a limited budget)? Hereís what I have so far:
-Donít do anything that hurts my knee, ever
-Avoid high impact/explosive stuff for now
-Do foam rolling/stretching/joint mobility stuff
-Do as much as possible with diet to reduce inflammation (Paleo, fish oil, avoid nightshades)
-Should I be squatting and deadlifting with light weights as long as it doesnít hurt?
-If so, whatís the verdict on below parallel as there seems to be conflicting advice?
-Is there anything else?

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kyle Marston is offline   Reply With Quote