View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #20
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe Kelley View Post
Haha doesn't hurt to ask.
After I posted this thread I have tried to stay calmer and still do for everything except my work set but I just don't feel the same if don't psych up. The thing for me is focus if could maintain the same focus calm then i don't think I would have a problem but my attention has a tendency to wander I am ADHD hyping up gives me the tunnel vision I need to concentrate completely on technique and it seems like with that focus I can just access muscle more effectively.
Actually, people with ADHD are capable of hyperfocusing under pressure, so you don't get a pass!

You need a routine. Watch a basketball player shoot free throws. It's the same thing every time. It helps you relax, and it puts you in a familiar place, which gives you confidence.

1) Relax. Reach a meditative state. Tune out the crowd, your coach, your bad day at work, your angry girlfriend, etc. It's just you and what lies before you. Mind like water. Re-read Arden's post.

2) Visualize what you're about to do. Now that you're relaxed, you concentrate only on the task at hand. If it's a lift, mentally burn the bar path into your head, ending with a successful lift. By the time you grasp the bar, you have already lifted the weight. The actual lift is just a formality of what's already happened a few seconds ago.

3) Mental checklist. EVERY TIME. Even the most experienced pilot goes through this pre-flight checklist (right, George?). At this point, you are very near the moment of truth. Outside thoughts or doubt can invade your head. Going through a checklist keeps you centered and allows you to stay relaxed. Limit this to 3-5 cues, something easy to remember.

E.g. for DL I use [stance-grip-shins-chest-pull]. For judo, I use [grip & move-sweep-turk-punish on the ground-look for the double].

I am in the same state of mind whether I'm in a garage or in front of hundreds of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce
Sure can you learn to relax? Absolutely. But why? Tony Blauer has an entire self defense program based on the flinch reflex, and we all know that isn't relaxing. Funny thing is as far as any program I've seen in some time, it actually has very definite real-world application, can be understood quickly and efficiently, and uses something we already know how to do.
I wouldn't apply anything Blauer does for CQC to lifting. Blauer is all about managing the Amygdalic Reaction that precedes all the hormonal stuff (fight dump/"fight or flight"/adrenalin, etc.). The flinch doesn't have anything to do with a big lift. Whipping yourself in a state of tachypsychia might help you get a few more pounds up in training, but it's not worth the cost IMO.

Last edited by Gant Grimes; 05-13-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote