View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Dave Van Skike

His wording is a shade unfair but in terms of context what's the comparison? How much applicable strength is being developed by a 200 pound kid power cleaning 225 with shit form? There are pleny of people who are dedicated adherents to the olympic lifts who may never put more than 315 on the bar. I don't know the answer but it seems fair to question whether the time put into for the value returned is worth it. As a sideline, don't make huge assumptions about the amount of technique in involved in flipping tires and pushing a sled or liaoding a keg..it's fairly open as to what works but there is a very real chance of getting injured either way.

For me, I'm a self taught weight lifter, in the gym probably barely as strong as an low average college football linebacker (that's cheating, one of my current training partners is a D2 linebacker, so I have bit of sense of how strong he adn his teamates are) From that expierience of little or no coaching, I have a clear sense of the amount of effort and the amount of payback I got when I trained the Oly movements very steadily. Obviusly, technique was a huge giant limitation...and one that probably wouldn't go away without devoting near exclusive attention to those lifts. For those that compete in them, this is perfectly reasonble and probably very enjoyable, even cerebral. but for those without acess to good coaching, I'm not sure they're gettign much out of it...I' don't know, I certainly didn't.

Conversely, I've seen huge gains in overall strength using lower skill movements explosivley because I can actually train these movements heavy. So in my expirement of one, this economy argument has some merit.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote