View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #17
Dave Van Skike

Some interesting points Jamie. A couple things I still don't get

Quote:
You can still see improvements in physical ability with any lifts without needing to be at the limits of your strength. The intra- and intermuscular coordination that more complex lifts develop will benefit running, tackling and other movements without needing to be at some arbitrarily defined heavy weight.
how? why is this intramuscular coordination of moving a barbell quickly better than moving a sandbag quickly? why would one and not the other teach me run faster? jump higher etc?

Quote:
If you take that argument to it's logical conclusion you end up saying that the best thing for sports would be training on isolation machines, making the only limiting factor how much force one muscle can generate. It's not realistic.

that's not a logical conclusion that flows from the idea that moving large and weighty objects, (barbells or kegs) is useful for football sport. taken in reverse, if the goal is to increase someone's ability to violently extend their body against a heavy load (another person) why would you ever want to make this drill more technical or specific to an implement?

Quote:
Also, the olympic lifts are not so much about getting strong as getting fast; developing force as quickly as possible. This does not need to make use of maximal weights; far from it. Look at Westside - 50-60% of raw max as fast as possible. You don't need to use 90+% of what your body is capable of to develop some athletic qualities.

certainly no one would disagree that you can't get strong using submax weights.
but a couple things here that don't click. Weightfiting is absolutley about getting stronger, more powerful and lifting increasingly heavy weights, while speed may be the key quality, it's not the whole picture.

my understanding about is that westside uses a "speed day" alongside a maximum effort day in a given week..A lot of people have argued and continue to argue whether the speed day is really just a "technique day" an active recovery day or, as with most people just becomes another type of ME day with accomodating resistance. there are also many good lifters at westside who don't use the DE or speed day at all. the idea is that DE is part of an overall approach that for a lot of lifters uses a huge amount and variety of assistence lifts. it's not the whole appraoch and on balance, it's not even 50% of the approach.

i guess the question here is why would a barbell be the right choice to teach triple extension, and more specifically, why wouldn't a less technical movement be even better given the time constraints?
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote