View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #24
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
I think strongman lifts have accepted techniques just like the olympic lifts. Take the stones: there is pretty much a consensus on how the lift should be performed. Try and do something wildly different and you'll probably fail.
not really. there is pretty huge spread

Quote:
Take for example keeping a straight back and bracing your spine. This is pretty fundamental to any lift you like. This can be learnt in various ways; however, the end result is the same.

Again. No. In a lot of really powerful explosive SM movements you move from round back to arched back ..or not... The key is bracing in any f'ed up position you find yourself. Perfect form will screw you very very quickly in the bright light of day.

Quote:
Getting into the specifics of the knee rebend, well this couldn't be more natural in my opinion. Take anyone untrained or trained and get them to pick something heavy up to the shoulder. Alternatively, get them to lean forward at the waist, then tell them to jump as high as possible. I really didn't understand the idea of the rebend till I started olympic lifting, but if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Let me throw one back at you: look at stone lifting. You have a first pull to get it past the knees. Then the knees rebend, albeit to a much greater extent than in an olympic 2nd pull, and the stone is rolled onto the thighs and lapped. From them comes explosive hip AND knee extension to load the stone. To my eyes, this is pretty similar to an olympic lift. The differences are semantics when you get down to it.

This makes some sense to me. The knee rebend might be a key component where Oly lifts are specfically transferable. I can see that.

Quote:
We want a lift that teaches us to perform this movement in as biomechanically sound a way as possible. Thus when the body is asked to do something similar on the sports field, it will get pretty close to the ideal. This, for me, is strength. Strength, after all, is no more than another skill. You get better at it by practising it. It involves learning greater recruitment of muscle fibres. This is just like learning the piano, just gross motor rather than fine. Moving better makes you stronger, therefore.

We are in total agreement. I guess I've seen how far people get thinking about Mozart when they're not ready for chopsticks. My experience leads me to believe that I can learn to explode under a heavy object like a tire more easily than I can can master an implement like a barbell and what's more, once I've learned how to do that with a tire, I can learn to do it with a sandbag, a body two bodys, etc....

Someone who really knows how to train the Oly lifts to football Coaches probably can ell this but I would bet one of the reasons Oly lifts and more specifically the power variants work in sports is the lack of an eccentric, until you're quite advanced, you can do it very often...more often may be more better..

Other than that, I'm not convinced that there's some intangible quality that you can't replicate elsewhere. That said, I think Greg's explanation adds something along the lines of the eccentrics being out of the picture and the not having to slow the BB thing is BIG.

Last edited by Dave Van Skike; 05-30-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: words
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote