View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthieu Hertilus View Post
I'm beginning to think it's more a matter of CNS overload rather than muscle fatigue. Especially for anyone who does olympic weightlifting or powerlifting type training regularly. I've had lots of trouble sleeping for more than 6 hours straight and it's probably due to all the o'lifts I do. But if overtraining is more so related to CNS fatigue, is rest the only means of recovery in that sense?
Overreaching/overtraining was never muscle fatigue. It's always a function of the CNS.

The only cases where you get muscular overload are cases of lots of edema/swelling in the area with pain up to rhabdomyolysis. Muscles have a GREAT blood supply so they heal rather quickly.. compared to stuff like CNS, bone, ligaments, tendons, etc. Cardiovascular system obviously gets a better blood supply than the muscles so it heals faster than muscles.

Best way to tell significant overreaching is with something like the tap tests, or decreasing max vertical leap, or your weights are starting to drop off 5-10% from your lifts.

If your lifts ever drop below 10% of your current then you're in a pretty bad overreaching state. If you push beyond that you're probably going to have to take more than a week to recover, and your CNS will be so depressed that you won't get a supercompensation effect greater than your previous maximum which means you just wasted all that time training for a setback.

Mild overreaching is generally good as you get the supercompensation back up over your previous max. But too much, and you set yourself back in training for weeks/months possibly years at a time.