View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Ian Gallimore

First post, long-time lurker...

I'm running 5/3/1 alongside my OL work, with the bench subbed for OHS because I have an age-old shoulder issue that benching just kills, but OHS works wonders for. I have a silly squat to lift ratio, so keeping the squats to once a week is working out well for me.

I'm pretty much doing the Boring But Big assistance, so over the course of 2 weeks my sessions look something like this:

1) Snatch/Front squat 531/Front squat 5x10r/soft tissue work with med ball
2) C&J/OHS 531/OHS 5x10r/Pushups >75r/soft tissue work with med ball
3) PSnatch/Press 531/Press 5x10r/Pullup variation 5x10r/soft tissue work with med ball
4) ClPull/ClDead 531 (cut the set when I can't hold position anymore)/ClDead 5x10r/DB row 2x20-40r (done with opposite hand on the knee rather than on a bench)/soft tissue work
5) C&J/Front squat 531/Front squat 5x10r/soft tissue work with med ball
6) Snatch/OHS 531/OHS 5x10r/Pushups >75r/soft tissue work with med ball
7) Clean/Press 531/Press 5x10r/Pullup variation 5x10r/soft tissue work with med ball
8) SnPull/ClDead 531 (cut the set when I can't hold position anymore)/ClDead 5x10r/DB row 2x20-40r (done with opposite hand on the knee rather than on a bench)/soft tissue work

I train first thing in the morning, so for conditioning I'll either load and unload the leg press a few times for time, or I'll go out in the afternoon/evening and throw a med ball around, or do some sprints, or sometimes do them both together.

I think Gavin has the right idea - keep things simple and don't overthink it too much. If you're still making progress on your main lift I don't see much need to start rotating things.
Ian Gallimore is offline   Reply With Quote