View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
Jon Sikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Archie View Post
I read through Wendler's 5-3-1 yesterday. It's very simple, basic and straight forward. I like it. I'm a bit unsure if it would be right for me and my level of training right now (comments) but I figured why not give it a go? It looks like fun and something completely different from what I've been doing. I'm hesitant to go the Texas Method or Starr as I see it just more of the same of what I've been doing the last 7 months plus the workouts look like marathons and I'm sick of going to the gym for just about 2 hours per session.
I just switched from a novice SS deal to the Texas Method. The volume workout on Mon. takes me up to 1.5h, but the light day and the heavy/PR day take about 40 min. Lot quicker than an SS workout, which had become long and soul crushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
troy. i won't lie, I had great luck with the texas version of 5x5...that said, I think you can't go wrong with Wendler's stuff and you will have fun. rep PR's are very very rewarding.
Before switching to the TM, I spent a while floundering -- switching programs and getting frustrated cuz linear progression wasn't happening. So, I'll be a rare dissenting voice on 5-3-1. I tried it for a few months. It was better than winging it on my own, but it wasn't right for me yet.

On the plus side: quick workouts, variety, flexibility. 5-3-1 was fun.

On the negative side: squatting once a week wasn't enough practice to keep my form good. Rep PRs are nice, but I'm not an advanced lifter and don't always know how hard I can or should push it. Recovery felt unpredictable and I had a lot of doubt about what I could do on the last set of each main exercise.

Finally, you put 10 pounds on the training max for your squat every 4 weeks with 5/3/1. I'm putting 5 pounds on my squat every week with the TM. 20 pounds > 10 pounds.

Keeping the light day light is key. It's refreshing and easy and makes me feel good going into Fri. to set some PRs. I also switched in just enough new exercises to the TM to make it fun/interesting/different from my novice progression.
Jon Sikes is offline   Reply With Quote