Thread: A few questions
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #20
Randy Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Corrected that for you. Seriously, pick what you want to be good at, and do it. One of the best ways to get better at crossfit is to scale things to a weight at which you can get the workout done in a reasonably fast period of time, then do it.

Force = Mass * Acceleration. This is the basis of all strength training programs.

Weightlifters tend towards F = m*A. (Dynamic Effort)
Powerlifters tend towards F = M*a. (Maximum Effort)
Bodybuilders tend towards F = m*a. (Repeated Effort)

They all work at building strength up. With crossfit, I'd say, just pick a weight, sets, reps that allows you to get the workout done with little resting, then have at it fast and hard. That will get you the best progress towards "Crossfit as Rxed". It's been done many many times, most if not all of the time this gets people the results faster than trying to do WODs heavy and slow and slogging.
Gavin, your post was golden! Thank you. I think I knew the force equation thing but never really thought about it that way before. I can still increase the amount of work done each time by manipulating weight or time, and keep scaling until I can get it done "as rx'ed".

So, I think I have my issue solved. My current plan is to just keep doing the main site WOD 3 on 1 off, while scaling but attempting more weight / faster times each time (like it's supposed to be done anyways).

I figure as long as I eat enough I should see increases in strength.

Nutrition-wise I can eat A LOT of food - so I don't think i'll have trouble eating enough. The only thing is that I am still "worried" about gaining too much fat, but that is another topic. I realize that my worrying is pointless given my stats. After all, crossfitters have been known to add an appreciable amount of muscle just from doing Crossfit, right?

Can't wait to tackle Eva after work..
Randy Hill is offline   Reply With Quote