View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
Max Rosenthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
How much weight have you been adding to the bar each workout? I haven't looked at stronglifts program personally, but at your weight and numbers you should be on linear progression.

Should be at least 5 if not 10-15 lbs to the bar for your squats each workout. The reason I don't like 5x5 across (if that's what you're doing for squats) is because it's too much volume and doesn't allow as high a frequency like SS' 3x5 with 3x a week frequency. Similarly, 5x5 ladder isn't really enough stress at how light of weights you're moving to stimulate good adaptation. It's fine in an intermediate program like Bill Starr's 5x5, but not as effective in a novice program.

Basically, IMO go straight to SS and get your squats and DLs up past 300 lbs and bench past 200 lbs pronto.

It was definitely too much volume. I am now on SS (the standard program, not Wunsler or any other variation) and have been for several weeks. I've been adding 5 lbs to the bar every workout, the reason it's taken so long to get to those numbers is that SL5x5 starts with the bar on everything but deadlift.
Max Rosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote