View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #15
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
last week a judo black belt showed me some tips with tai otoshi. he showed me how the lower body sets up a supporting structure, while the real throw comes from a trunk rotation. in exercise terms, it's more like an olbique russian twist than a wood chopping motion/ball slam motion. the rotation occurs in a very, very thoracic region after the lower body has been set up.

now i understand why harai goshi and tai otoshi are completely different. it's like day and night now.
Grissim, sorry I didn't get this last week. I haven't posted or been able to do crap here.

I didn't film it last night at my JJ group, but I got a short clip before judo started tonight. I'm demonstrating a style of tai used by our club members. It is a terminal throw, meaning we go to the ground with (usually on top of) our opponent.

First, I break his balance forward and down by pulling the gi (or an arm drag or neck grab). Then I hammer my arm over, smashing it into his head to get a tight grip. I grab his lat. Literally. I try to squeeze the life out of them right before I land on their ribs. If you do it properly, you land in a solid kesa gatame. I know you're more interested in submissions, so I transitioned to a side control + kimura (or Americana--can't remember the difference).

The video is kinda crappy, and you may not be able to hear. Apply the principles above to this terminal throw, and you'll have fun with it.

If you get good kuzushi, you basically have to hold the opponent up until you're ready to throw him.

Tai otoshi traditionally breaks to the right front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRTW4l-plN4

Note: I am 217 and my uke is 300.
Note 2: Traditional tai otoshi is a hand technique. This grip variation changes that.

Last edited by Gant Grimes; 09-11-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote