View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #13
Mike Romano

I don't really think that it is an understatement to say that meat eating made us human...chimps don't consume all that much meat: only 10% of chimp feces contain remnants of other animals.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/20045146/T...sue-Hypothesis

Explains how are meat consumption gave us room to allow our brains to grow, by allowing our digestive tracts to shrink. This is the prevailing, accepted theory among anthropologists, at least the ones I know

Also, bonobos don't eat meat really....mostly frugivorous. They are the "lovers", while chimps are the "fighters". Their point of divergence was assumed to be mate choice actually....some females preferred less violent males, and others preferred more violent males. The more violent ones=chimps, and vice versa.

Don't really understand how that study goes to prove anything along the lines of a shortened digestive tract though. It says that the divergence was maybe 200,000 years ago, when Homo sapiens evolved much earlier. Also, it says that there was directional pressure only in areas where people were fed high starch diets, and it became somewhat common by drift elsewhere, even where high-starch diets were not consumed. So, the study itself admits that many societies did not eat high-starch diets at this time...maybe I'm misinterpreting the study, but that's what I got out of it.
Mike Romano is offline   Reply With Quote