View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Anton Emery

Default O-lifting three days a week with grappling

After flip flopping around for a while and accomplishing a whole lot of nothing i decided i would like to get better at the O-lifts. I would like to be stronger, faster, and more explosive. Robb Wolf was saying on his blog that Glenn Cordoza just snatched 225 and cleaned 275 at a BW of about 170, and he trains MMA as his main sport. I find that impressive.

I grapple three days a week and am trying to figure out how to designed a program based around the O-lifts that is not a ton of volume. I dont want to be so worn out from my workout that i cant wrestle. I was thinking something similar to Robb's Fight Prep article, 3 x 3-5 reps of a lower body, pulling, and pushing movement. Perhaps do a heavy/light/speed day as outlined in Rippetoe's Starting Strength. So integrating O-lifting into that would i clean and squat in the same workout, or are they both considered lower body movements? At a BW of 175 my max lifts are 315 Low Bar Squat, 400DL, 145 Press. I have ditched the low bar for the high bar squat, and have had to drop the weight significantly.

I'd be interested to know what others think of this, or if i am on the wrong track entirely.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote