View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

I have a question or possibly just food for thought. Have patience while I slowly get to my questions.

I realize that "bone density" is always discussed in terms of "mineral content". Bone however has many components some of which can be quite strong in both tension and compression. I like to think of the horn of a ram which seems quite strong but is not made of primarily calcium. The question I have is that yes the mineral contact of this population seems to be slightly less especially in the older group.

1-Does that in any way prove that Eskimos bones are any less strong?
2-Could they possibly have a proportionate increase in the other structural components that make up bone.
3-Is the assumption being made that all population bases have the exact same bone development (by that I mean exactly the same proportion of each bone constituent)

They have lived in that environment for many generations they would have had a lot longer to develop a slightly different physiology to low calcium availability than modern man has had time to adjust to a diet of processed food.
Craig Van De Walker is offline   Reply With Quote