View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
Charles Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone View Post
What Martin brings up is sort of my point in starting this. Steven mentioned that Dave's way is the "correct" way, and yet it's definitely a much different technique than that taught by Rippetoe (closer to the "standard" BP that Tate hates). As I'm interested in overall strength, I'm not concerned with looking more impressive at the gym or making a better PL total, as Tate seems to be suggesting is the primary motivation in the article.

It's noteworthy as well that the form Tate teaches in the video I linked and the one in Allen's article from him are not the same, which just adds to the confusion. I'm definitely concerned with keeping my shoulders healthy. Overall, I really just feel like Tate's technique is so different that it's practically a different exercise; it's closer to a decline BP than a flat BP.
This is kind of the point. We're stronger in a decline bp both because of reduced ROM and because of better leverages. The better leverages part is the one you should be concerned with. Taking advantage of those better leverages to allow heavier and heavier pounds (once your form adapts and you feel more comfortable) will keep putting progressive overload on not only the big primary movers but also the RC, ant. serrratus, and other stabilizers. Also, by adopting that setup you'll be strengthening and developing better control over some muscles that are often weakened in most people like the lower traps and rhomboids.

And, as has already been said, benching that way should serve to keep your shoulders relatively healthy long-term and allow you to do more work, which is after all the goal.
Charles Bean is offline   Reply With Quote