View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #15
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
John Beradi on the 30g protein limit:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/protein-limit
I don't normally read Berardi's stuff and that article reminds me why.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Berardi
Take-Home Message.

It seems to me that whether someone’s on a hypoenergetic diet (low calorie) or a hyperenergetic diet (high calorie), the one macronutrient they would want to be sure to “overeat” (relatively speaking) would be protein.

But that’s not what people do, is it?
Ummmm.....yes, that's exactly what people do, particularly those engaged in strength training.

Quote:
Instead, their protein prejudice often leads them to look for what they consider the bare minimum of protein (whether it’s 20-30g/meal or 0.8g/kg/day), and then overeat carbohydrates and fats instead. That could prove to be a performance – and body composition – mistake.
Those studies didn't say that athletes should restrict their total protein intake or stick to the RDA and there's no evidence that specific macronutrients have any influence on body composition or weight gain/loss independant of energy balance and exercise.

Quote:
To this end, my advice is the same as I’ve outlined in the Precision Nutrition System.

Women – 1 serving of lean, complete protein (20-30g) with each meal, every 3 hours or so

Men – 2 servings of lean, complete protein (40-60g) with each meal, every 3 hours or so

This pattern of intake will make sure you’re getting enough protein to reap all the benefits that this macronutrient has to offer. Not just the protein synthetic benefits.
I'm male so according to Berardi's "expert" advice in the 18 hours I'm awake most days I should be eating 6 meals each providing 40-60g of protein giving me a total protein intake of 240-360g per day. That works out at 4.2-6.3g/kg/d for me which seems a little excessive considering the worlds leading authorities in the field of sports nutrition agree that an athletes protein requirments are 1.2-1.8g/kg of LBM/d but then what do I know, I'm not an "expert" like Dr Berardi.

Seriously, how does he get away with this crap and more importantly why are people prepared to pay for it? [/rant]

<sigh> <takes deep breath>

This stuff isn't particularly complicated because all an athlete needs to do is calculate their protein requirements and divide that figure between however many meals per day seems practical. That way, assuming that their calorie intake is adequate, they'll be getting all the protein they need.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote