View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ennis View Post
Hi Everyone ;
I'm attempting to do the same thing as Justin . Two questions:
1. Derek ( or anyone ) what is NEPA ?
2. This may be a dumb question if I'm trying to lose some weight/fat - would the Mass (A)gain program or start a Strength Cycle ( e.g. 12/15/08 CA WOD ) be the way to maintain/increase strength while losing fat ?
Thanks.
Bill
According to Chris Shugart here is his definition of NEPA

Quote:
The NEPA Walk

It's as simple as this: Go for a walk every day.

The idea here is to drain off a few calories to speed the fat loss process without impairing recovery and without taking any energy away from the weight training workouts. A good walk will actually speed up the recovery process.

The key here is to make the decision to walk everyday, rain or shine, busy or not.

Guidelines

1. The average person walks between 3 and 3.5 MPH. (Men walk about .5 miles per hour faster than women.) For your NEPA walk, shoot for around 4 MPH. If you're walking outside and not on a treadmill that shows you the speed, simply aim to walk faster than your normal pace. This isn't "speed walking," just walking faster than normal.

2. You can choose to walk for a certain distance or for a certain amount of time. Depending on your fitness level and the time you have, you can shoot for 30 to 60 minutes of fast walking or two to four miles. At 4 MPH, you can walk one mile in 15 minutes.

3. You may walk outside or inside on a treadmill. Walking on a treadmill actually burns a few less calories than walking outside, but this isn't a big deal. Simply incline the treadmill slightly and the calorie-burning will be increased as the posterior chain muscles are called into play.

4. While you can take your walk any time of the day -- morning, at lunch, or in the evening -- many experts believe that walking in the morning before you eat leads to faster fat loss. While I'd never suggest performing strenuous cardio in this fasted state (which could lead to muscle loss), a brisk walk is fine. Still, it's no big deal: get your walk in whenever you can, just never miss a day!

Warning: You will not "make the diet faster" by going for long runs, doing sprints, or taking hour-long aerobics classes. You will impede recovery, have less energy, and possibly cause your body to catabolize (eat up) lean muscle tissue, which will in turn wreck your metabolism.

Remember, the diet itself does most of the fat burning here and the weight training builds and/or helps you retain the metabolism-boosting muscle. Traditional cardio and aerobics just aren't necessary while on the V-Diet, and may even be counterproductive.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote