Thread: Gaining Fat?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
Leslie Jennings

Default Gaining Fat?

Hello All!

I started eating paleo about 5 weeks ago and I am really enjoying it. However, my body fat seems to have slowly increased...when I started I was at 16% and I could see a 4-pack in the morning. Now I am up to 18% and the 4-pack is no longer visible...just the top two. Just a little background:

I started on the zone diet two years ago and had great success. I dropped 10lbs and my BF went down 4%. Sweet.

About 4 months ago I started training harder...I competed in several sprint triathlons, began boxing again and upped my weightlifting. The zone was simply not allowing me to eat enough calories (between 1000 and 1200 a day). I did a lot of research and starting slowly going paleo, but I have been full on the past 5 weeks. I really like the diet, but am not enjoying the extra fat. I would appreciate any advice.

Stats:
Height: 5'4
Weight: 125
Current BF: 18%

Typical Day:

B:
coffee w/ a little coconut milk
4oz chicken breast cooked w/salsa
1 cup sauteed cabbage
1 tbsp flax oil

Or

3 eggs sauteed w/spinach, peppers, onions, mushrooms, salsa, 1/2 avocado

L:
Large spinach salad w/4oz meat (usually chicken or pot roast), 1/2 cup each tomatoes and bell peppers, 1tbsp flax oil and 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 cup artichoke hearts sauteed w/1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes

Or

Leftovers

S:
1oz beef jerkyd
1 small apple
1 oz almonds

Post workout Snack (sometimes):
1/2 scoop unflavored whey protein powder
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup strawberries
water

D:
Crockpot beef; sauteed brussels sprouts
Or
Meatloaf (made w/ground beef, carrots, onions, flax meal and seasonings) w/roasted eggplant

If I have dessert, it is usually frozen berries reheated in the microwave and topped w/toasted unsweetened dessicated coconut

It usually comes out between 1600 and 2000cals per day, approx 125g P, less than 60g C and around 100g F.

I workout 6x per week...
MWF: boxing/grappling/some polymetrics
T/Th: weightlifting/conditioning, Kali/Escrima
S: sprints at the track

Sorry for such a long post, but I really would appreciate it if anyone sees any reason for the fat gain. If it was just my weight going up, I wouldn't care...it is the fat that bothers me.

Thanks in advance!
Leslie Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote