View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Clay Jones

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
To vary the programming... I'd switch things to either 3 full body-ish workouts with the BB complex as a "finisher" if it's something you need, or upper lower 3-4 days/week. I just wouldn't repeat the same complex over and over expecting the weight to increase and rest times to consistently decrease.

I think a better idea is to do your strength stuff, remember to lift heavy and increase activity level another. Hikes, walks, cycling, rowing, swimming etc. Low impact stuff.
Derek, I had to think about that a bit, but it makes sense. I like your idea of adding the complex in after a strength workout. I知 now leaning toward a 3 day whole body WO, that way I can toss in some extra hikes and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
80 % of body composition is determined in the kitchen, strength is determined in the gym, this is appx, don't quote me and no, I don't have any studies to back it up.

Hence if you're primary goal is to loose fat, YOU HAVE TO DIAL IN YOUR EATING. Track via Fitday or some other program, every single bite you take in, give it 30 days until you get a feel for what and how much you're eating. Paleo is fine, but, you can still gain weight.

Determine your time line to reach your goal weight, post it around the house and understand, it's a battle and you need to really NOT cheat(at least for 30 days), determine your macro %%'s that work for you , then stick with it. If you want to loose 25 lbs in 5 months, well, that's 5 lbs per month, or about 1.25 per week. Sounds doable, but, you have to stay focused.

Pick up the fork more, or less, you choice.
Thanks Jay. I may make your "pick up the fork" line my sig.

All of what you say makes sense. I have been logging my food for the past few days, and it is clear to me that what I thought I was eating and what I am actually eating are two different things. I知 taking in too many carbs, not enough protein and fat. I値l need to play around with the macro percentages, but my immediate response will be to cut out the junk/excess carbs. I知 going to start with a max of ~80g of carbs per day, and adjust it each week (I'll need to play with my carb levels a bit).

I知 going to set a goal of a pound a week and give myself a deadline for the first 20 lbs. If I lose more, great. I think a pound a week is rational. I値l check out Fitday, but I will probably keep a paper log and use a calorie counter book in the beginning. I have been recording my daily food intake in my training log, which it is actually working out pretty well. I may toss in an occasional IF day, but my focus will need to be my daily calorie intake.

Looks like I have some work to do.

Thanks for all the responses.
Clay Jones is offline   Reply With Quote