View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Ok now taking the side of Option #1....Wouldn't Max effort rounds be more advantageous for the following:

- Option #2 is a continuous effort for say 20 min
- Option #1 is a all out effort interval training for 3-4min with 2-3min recovery (so not really training speed at 100meters or 20sec sprints)
- Option #2 has you going at perhaps a slower pace than you would apply in your sport therefore adapting more to the slower twitch muscle fibers
- Option #1 allows you to go more at a "race" pace...or above to increase conditioning
- Option #1 has more stimulus to increase more mitochondria output and VO2 max
- Option #2 is aerobic where as Option #1 has you on the anaerobic threshold while still in the glycolitic pathway

etc....essential does Option #2 have the same level of benefits of say jogging at some point? Also for Option #1 to be the most effective for both increased game speed and conditioning...how long does it need to be and how short do the rest periods need to be? Ex....3 min workout with 2 min rests.....1min workout with 1 min rests.....4 min workout with 1 min rests.....I know it may depend on the sport...but which protocol would you think to work better....a longer one like 2-3 minutes....or a tabata style with only 20-30sec work?

You could also argue for general fitness and fat loss which is better....I would still go with Option #1 for the metabolic disruption and recovery demands. Just thinking out loud....

I think I read a long time ago Robb had better client success with taking rounds of effort at 3min, add some rest...and then repeat vs the continuous format....Robb any feedback?

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 03-17-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Because I am confusing myself
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote