View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Joel is trying to bring back the emphasis from lactic training (i.e., metcons) to a more meaningful approach. The MMA world seems to have ditched the road work, when it is so important in MMA. Contrary to popular opinion, MMA is mostly alactic and aerobic without much being lactic. Plus, the lactic energy system cannot be improved much, and lactic adaptations interfere with aerobic adaptations.
a part of me would have to agree with the alactic concept you mention. the shear fact being that when i'm rolling, i'm never trying to feel a burn or get tired. normally whenever i feel this at all, it probably means i'm about to get my ass ripped apart because i'm trying to muscle stuff. the only instance it would seem necessary to drive into fatigue is if the opponent is hurt and so close to a knockout. in grappling, this won't happen, so i don't really deal with that.

The diesel crew stuff looks pretty intense. i'd have to agree that there's a hell of a lot of variety they offer, but i'd see it more as opportunity. in essence, you can pick a few of their many choices that you actually enjoy doing. i personally would probably like the sandbags, but skip the keg work (unless they did handstands on the kegs in intervals. that might be cool). i see the lunge and sled dragging training as more of a wrestler bias, so if you have that background then maybe you'd like that. i'm more of a thrower, so i'd pick more pulls and rotations (maybe side cleans with a KB).

IMO the real value of sport specific exercises are to understand how to properly generate force in that instance. for example, i mentioned that quarter getups with a KB are nice. the reason being that these will teach you how to escape side control very well. since escaping side control is a modified stand-up in base (imaging standing up in base but instead of putting your bottom arm's hand on the ground, you put your shoulder down) the same principles that can make it work and break it apply. if your bottom leg cannot travel beneath you, then you cannot standup in base. if your top shoulder cannot travel forward, then you cannot stand up in base. thefore, we can challenge each of these 2 areas to help understand how to deal with an opponent pressuring them. the quarter getup adds tremendous resistance to the top shoulder. therefore it is difficult to just move it foward. instead, we must move around it. dont' think about pushing the weight up, but instead think of adjusting your body beneath the weight until you have such a stable frame that the weight cannot break you down. it's possible to analyze the hell out of this, but i'll save it for the scope of this forum.

you can also metcon these if you really want. i used to do it a lot. it's relatively safe and very engaging. i would tabata it so that i could have ample time to switch sides.

on the 8weeks out site, they looked fine, but they used 2 types of ladder climbing machines. the one that really looks like a ladder is kinda cool. the one that's like a post with handles sticking out just looks silly to me. they use that at one club i've trained at, and it drives me crazy everytime. just use a damn jump rope. simplicity is always better.

i don't know if i mentioned this before, but sledge hammers and tires are a favorite exercise of mine now. i find that it's hard to mimic the slamball feeling sometimes, but this exercise does it well. this has applications towards snap downs and what not. i find that when you get into it, most of the actual strength required to perform it is just a wrist snap. getting the weight up in the air is just a back swing, windmill motion. the wrist snap comes in laying it down into the tire.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote