View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
Pierre Auge

Peter,
here I am in agreement with you and I can see that we can be content in disagreeing. The only other person I can verify as having done this is myself. I don't do much for high-rep overhead squats other than what comes up in the WOD's which I don't do the WOD's from the main page. At least not in order. I use them when it fits the schedule used here at the gym. So I don't do much. I do heavy OHS when I train the Olifts or when I'm doing Snatch Balances or Snatches.

I have seen transfer into other avenues of lifting but I would say more directly into my snatch than my deadlift but that should be obvious! I don't really do any considerable deadlifting these days, maybe once a month but I can deadlift double bodyweight most any day of the week unless I am extremely fatigued.

My point is simply that Elitism has to be taken into context, I also don't think that 15 BW OHS is Elite by any means but it is certainly worth mentioning. Though I would suggest only in an ass to grass manner. Your flexibility issues give you one of two things in my opinion: an excuse to do it poorly or a good excuse to do it within your limits. Since I don't personally know you and can't judge in person my intent isn't to insult either I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have a legit reason for doing it within your limits.

I'm no super athlete myself, frankly I'm poor at a great deal of things: for instance my jerk is crap! but I'm working on it.

Anyhow I apologize for degrading this conversation into a pissing match which was not my intention and I know it wasn't yours. What I'll say is this, as for transfer I truly believe that overhead squats translate well into just about anything that involves transfering force from the ground through your legs into an external object. That has been my experience.

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote