Thread: Paleo Cost
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I'm a college student so for the time being I don't have a lot of money to spend. That said, I think I do pretty well for myself considering I can only spend about ~$30-40 per week. I usually eat 3000-4000 cals daily.

I've found that frozen veggies are the way to go. Canned veggies don't taste good and lose their nutrients. I usually keep 1-2 lb. bags of collards, turnip greens, spinach, and broccoli in the freezer.

Also, I've forced myself to like frozen seafood because you can get it at very good prices. Typically I get all my seafood for $4/lb or less. I find good deals on octopus, squid, whiting, shrimp, clams, salmon, etc.

Nuts are always expensive but sometimes if you buy in bulk (1 lb or more) they are a little cheaper. I mostly almonds and walnuts but if I have extra money I'll go for buy pecans or macadamias for a treat.

I get most of my carb intake from fruits. The ones I've found with the highest carb to dollar ratio are raisins, bananas, oranges, apples, peaches, and pears.

I really wish I had money for grassfed beef, but I just settle for the least processed and leanest meat I can find. Sometimes I get the omega-3 enriched eggs but usually I just eat 20-30 regular eggs per week.
Shane, I found a good source of grassfed beef in upstate NY that is 4.00 a pound for bulk and they can customize as to what cuts you want more of. I'm looking into it further and I'll post about it when I place an order.

Arcadian Pastures it is called, not sure where exactly you are in the NE, but it may be something to look into.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote